First Field Trip in Forever!

Camp Hanes

It was early but I was excited. It was 6:40 am on Thursday, September 29. Normally I would be still laying down catching some Zzzs. But, instead I was wide awake. I got all my stuff ready and went downstairs with my 10000 pound bag. I ate my breakfast and got in the car to go to school. Once I got to school I was bombarded by 7 of my friends hugging me (nearly knocking me down). The next thing I knew I was on the bus to Camp Hanes. The teachers put Madagascar on the tv. When King Julian came on we all went crazy. The next thing I knew was that we were all at Camp Hanes.

We all got our stuff and met in the meeting space. While the counselors got the teacher all set up the kids started playing 4 corners. Then, they separated us into our cabins. I was in cabin 4. The cabins had bunk beds, wooden floors, and a bathroom. Once everyone was done putting their luggage away we all met in the cafeteria for lunch. After lunch we got to have popsicles. The popsicles were delicious! Once my stomach was full we got divided into our groups for activities. My group had team building exercises first. Our next activity was rock climbing. That was my favorite activity. They had these wooden beams that you can climb on to to get on the sky hammock. At first it was scary but then I looked down at what I just climbed and felt super proud. I then went back down and got to climb. The climbing was a workout but still super fun! We then headed on a steep hike up a mountain. At some parts it was challenging but my team was cheering me on the entire time. When we got up to the top I could smell the smell of mountains. I could hear nature and I could see a mile away. Once we got back down we started survival skills.Finally it was time for dinner. The best part was the bread. We all had a contest to see who could eat the most bread. The meal was delicious. We then changed into pjs and had a big campfire with s’mores and stories. Then it was time for bed.

My cabin woke up at around six thirty and started packing and getting ready. We then headed for breakfast. The biscuits were so good! After breakfast we took a big photo. We then went and had some team building exercises. Sadly, it was time to go so we piled back in the buses and left. During the bus ride I watched Ratatouille.  It was overall an amazing experience. A challenge for me was the hike and my fear of heights.

29taylorh

One Comment

1. I really enjoyed being in your activity group! I also enjoyed rock climbing, and the hike!